Thursday, May 31, 2007

I have a store again!


Signed the lease today, I am now a vendor at the 'House of Vintage' on Hawthorne.

Tomorrow morning, I load up the Kia and make like the flea market of olde, except that it's inside, with 80s music and more ugly 1960s lamps than I ever saw in all of my childhood friends' parents' basements and rec rooms. With the big GothGirl space at the front.

Perseverance, and good timing. I am so excited! Starting out with LPs, some 1970s rock& roll paraphernalia, books, fabricky items, old video tapes, things that I've been carting around so long that they have become 'vintage' since I got them...the mid-40s usual realization that it has been almost 30 years since high school, ohmigod, why do I still have some of this stuff?

To sell, to sell, to young 20s hipster types to whom this era of
brown and yellow draperies or orange and olive lampshades has a delightful charm. Oh, I can show you 70s...

I considered "The 70's Will Never Die" as a great name for a booth, and it's not too late. The owner is very easy going with being creative, and encourages merchandising that increases sales, so that's cool. And since I am in a starter size space, it's small enough that I'm not in overwhelm about filling it up, and it's easy to completely change around to keep it fresh. The time commitment is minimal, so I can still do all of my other creative and money making projects, like blogging, trying to get writing jobs, setting up my Etsy sales site, and most likely, getting a part time job. I get to lead four lives at once, at last! And there is that new novel idea that came to me yesterday, a murder mystery, no less, increible!

There's still time,
I keep saying to myself. All of these interlayered happenings feel more genuine than most of the work I've done over the last few years, yet the experience along the way taught me so much that I know will help me run my own business. Fifteen years ago I would have wanted to do my own little bookstore, maybe a spirituality artsy poets dragged through Asia a few times kinda store. But things are different now, after the bookstore manager's experience. I don't want a little cafe or restaurant of my own, either. So already have done that, too. To feel really in tune with all my interests and expressive needs, I need to do an assortment of things. Perhaps this summer is the time and the right mix of circumstances for me to really launch this muthaship. Six months ago I found out I was losing my job. And it certainly was not the end of the world. This summer is going to be so cool!!
stock pic

No comments: