Friday, May 4, 2007

And I thought I was such a needle-pro


Perusing some of the blogs mentioned on the Craft site, I found a link to Poppalina and this amazing article of needle working madness, (only) twin-bed size says the creator, and I'm struck speechless. Usually giving knitting a pass over the warmer months, I had been assembling some ideas for crochet and cool cotton---which is what you need to make this "baby" blanket. The woman behind this work of art is named Shula, and she's in Australia with her daughter Mym, and she "whipped this up" with leftover cotton yarn from other projects. See her website for more and close up pics of this feat of brilliance. Shula covers more than needle arts, and the first few posts of May cover her mom's suicide many years ago, but she's an amazing artist and mom, covers a lot in her blog, and there's many other voices to read there, too. Don't be shy, zip off down under & be impressed. Now.


I found out today about the Mt. Tabor Art Walk on May 19-20, Saturday and Sunday. It's free, and takes you and your art-loving pals on a great tour of one of the finest nooks of this part of Southeast, and there's more info at Mt. Tabor Art Walk. I picked up a brochure at the new art supply store here on Hawthorne called Muse Art and Design and I'm so glad I can walk to such a well-stocked shop and get lost there. When on the way to Portland Pet Supply for Science Diet for the boys, I get to feed my art freak, too. The shop has lots of art-toys as well as the serious materials, in all price ranges, as well as art supplies for the kiddles and beginners. I needed a table easel, the metal tripod one got lost in one of the moves. Now I have absolutely no excuse to not paint. 'Cause the 'no easel' one was working for me for a while.

There was a great lead on a writing job, "edgy" and "be a personality for us" and "RAW" were repeated a few times...I'm sure that was a whiff of testosterone I caught there...5 to 10 cents a word, oh yeah, "GONZO" was in there many times. I love this whole idea, and am happy Jolie sent it to me, but somehow I only want to do this if it's aimed at women, or at least a broader spectrum of the population than the younger segment of the extreme sports cult. Am I prejudiced? Generalizing? Age-ist? Gyno-centric? Should I be so picky, nookin' per a yob n' all? I mean to ask one of my many celebrity friends who wrote their way to the top while I was slinging a nametag and cashiering, oh the humanity. There was a great conversation I had with a former employee about the difference between just doing your own thing and someone happens to notice and you hit big, OR, you do whatever you think will make you break through the pack, and then do your own thing to greater compensation and glory. Yes, it was Jeff, and it was probably between coats of wite-out on the dashboard geisha's face, but we really knocked this point around a while. We finally came to the conclusion that you should just do your own thing, but sleep with people who will promote you before you break up with them. I really liked that guy. "Yer young, ya got yer health," I'd say to him, "emulate if you must, to learn some technical parameters, but at some point you have to strike out and do your own twisted vision," and he'd snort and say, "Yeah, and wind up living back in the House of Gothic Lesbians again and asking you for my old job back," and that actually did happen. I miss him sometimes.

Trying on yet another template style...if anything looks too weird, please let me know. I had a request that the font size was small for a colored background, so...I love the color block styles, but as in the DK books that became the Google style, the more white space, the easier it is to read. And the pictures have more zing. Ding-a-ding ding.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The line includes two Needle-Pro designs for use with hypodermic syringes. These devices are available in a wide range of color-coded sizes from the larger needle gauges to the smallest needles used for injection.
------------------------------
pandreson

Internet Marketing