Friday, June 1, 2007

(fanfare) The Booth is Open!!

Da-ta-ta -dah!!!

Yes, I've become a resale tycoon in the making. It is a modest little booth. Pricing things you remember paying full price for 25 years ago is tough, but some things are actually worth more. Not kidding anyone, just mining this accumulation of riches for some liquid assets is worth it, no matter how much that Japanese Import Roxy Music album was in 1982. Some vinyl junkie could spy that, and get on his cell and tell all his friends to come down.
I did snap a few pics, but first I have to figure out how to get them out of my phone.

Remarkably, it was so easy to just pile LPs into the big canvas book bags and lug them to the car, I thought it would be harder. Friends tried to get me to leave them behind when I left Boca Raton, but no one would have given me a dime for a bunch of 70s & 80s LPs there. And I wasn't emotionally ready to part with them then, still inhabiting my mental 20s on the cusp of 40. Well---I'm truly on the other side of that dilemma now. I also have a great tall book-sized shelf in the booth, so I can start with the book-age as soon as I can start boxing them up.
After years of wanting to surround myself with wonderful and meaningful things, this spring I want to create SPACE. Space for new ideas, new projects, new identity, new work, new pals and friends, new meanings. As my old pal Matthew would say, "There you go, all woo-woo again," and he would be right. He too is proof that there is Life After Borders.

Speaking of...I found a stash of business cards from just a couple of years ago in an old purse, and as I looked through them while tossing them in the paper recycling basket, I realized that none of the Borders business cards I had from colleagues, co-workers, bosses, and muckity-mucks were people who were still with the company. Ah---haaaa. So, The Kids Are Alright after all. Meaningless, really, but reassuring to me anyway. We all tossed our Corp frame of Reference and Priorities for the next thing, whatever that wound up being, and none of that whole "End of the World As We Know It Armageddon" occurred. Those conference calls and phone trees and suits' visits all kept on happening, more new initiatives, more new incentives, more spun bullshit---and it went on without our holding it up anymore!! When I tell people I feel newly divorced, they snort and make some comment that indicates to me that I gave far too much to that company. I don't want to be bitter, or angry, or feel a loss in myself.
But I really like this Merry Divorcee thing...reputation be damned.

No comments: