Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hand Cramps & Forearm Seizures


No, not from gardening, but from choosing a freakingly tiny yarn and needle size to fabricate the beautiful short-sleeved sweater for Betty, and having an unrealistic deadline for completing it. It's a combination Mother's Day & Birthday gift, them being within 6 weeks of each other this year, and she's cool with that. But this morning my hands are frozen like claws, and my forearms are twitching and so fatigued I can hardly type. And I'm not even half done. But the back piece is almost done, and the yarn makes a stunning fabric, I'm deliriously happy about that. Pretty sure she'll find it cool enough in its rayon-blend light weight to wear, and that the colors are what she wanted. Her friends will be impressed. It will look great with black and other bright solids she has. I hope I will actually take today off from knitting and let myself recover, maybe immerse myself in some hot dishwater and get dishes done, or better yet, go for a steam and a good pounding in the clinical strength hot tub at the gym. (Can I grip a steering wheel safely?)

Over the weekend, I had an afternoon of insanity, and hung out on eBay bidding on batches of old buttons. To make cool stuff with. To sell. The "Ideas" notebook is filling up, and I saw some amazing button creations that inspired me to make something less cutesy and more funky. It is true, the Etsy bug has bitten me, and I'm in a fever to create, to make, to arts around. There is a new Thrift Emporium on Hawthorne, near the wildly popular Presents of Mind, where a used books & magazine shop used to be. The neighboring Thrift Stall Shop expanded to take over the entire building, and I'm checking it out, rates, percentage of price commission, rent, etc. to see about having a booth to sell things, that I don't have to inhabit while it's open. That is the cool thing about these Emporiums. Your merchandise tags have your vendor code on them, and the customer takes up the stuff they've picked from the various vendors to the central cashier, and you get credit by the code for the merchandise of yours that is purchased. So I could sell online as well as locally and not be tied to a store 7 days a week all hours. And the Emporium would be great to sell the bigger items I have, antiques, books, records, heavy stuff, odds & ends. Stuff that would be challenging to mail if sold online. Re-purpose, re-use, re-sell, re-furbish, re-invent.

Right now, I could really use a hand and arm massage. Signing off for now, maybe more later...

No comments: