Friday, May 11, 2007

Caught in the Time Travel Capsule

Whoa, Bill & Ted have nothing on me the last few days...

Everyone posting writing gigs wants content samples, can you imagine? The audacity!

And as everyone knows, who's worked a time & soul demanding job, sometimes you need to dust off the archives and go digging. For actual pieces to use, or portions to lift and update, or even brilliant ideas you had that could benefit from your more mature and present voice. Technology reference updating, pop culture excising, music and world events tweaking, all necessitating re-reading piles and sheafs of stuff. And I got sucked into the spinning time capsule all day yesterday and most of today. And I didn't get to the bottom of the trunk of paper, so the flip side of this is that I need to use the trunk for something else and make this archive labeled and accessible. Then later finish to the bottom. New coffee table trunk, move the archives to the office studio. And print out the discs of stuff from the last 8 years that aren't journals.

For not being a writer, I have amassed a serious amount of writing. It's not all journals. Some of it's even fairly good. Linsey, I need to borrow your labeling p-touch machine.

The weather forecast for this week had been sunny, clear and in the mid 70's, and I was thinking of the laptop on the porch in the afternoon, cold bevs, not much inside time this week. It hasn't happened, it's been in the 50s & 60s, gets sunny and warm for an hour or so late in the afternoon, so I've been able to work inside and also catch porch time late in the day. No need to crack the taskmaster's whip, I get it all done, it's just timing. Because it's been so long since I wrote for hours and hours, I'd forgotten how fast the days go by. I kinda like this. But hours and hours add up to days and days, another week has gone by, and when my neighbor asks me what exotic plans I've had on my sabbatical, I have to shrug and say, "none". It's true. And I'm okay with it, the sense of accomplishment is amazing and very underrated. In retail, you make a list at the beginning of your week, and if you get three things on it done, you feel successful. Needing to start new lists is intoxicating, it just makes me feel ready, for whatever is ahead. All those little gnats of tasks to do instead of your "work" are already done, and you're _______.
(writing, painting, mailing off, selling, producing, making calls, replying, etc.) Living. It's good.

No comments: