Saturday, July 7, 2007

Lost Dog

I want to say this story has a happy ending, but the 8 Ball Psychic keeps saying "Not Likely" in those eerily blue floating letters.
Every moral fiber in my being is screaming at me to do something, and I know that doing anything to intervene is not good sense. Being a mushy hearted animal lover has its price, and this afternoon I am grinding my teeth down and staying in the house.

Sometime early this morning, the neighbors' dog ran away. No one was surprised, but we all were sad and concerned, and some of us angry. 'Great, one more thing to punish the dog for doing that is your irresponsibility, dumb ass!' I'm thinking, knowing he had no tags on, too.

Being Portland, Land O' Dog Lovers, some kind soul took him to the shelter right away, so by the time the owner showed up 8 hours later, the dog was there, ready to go.

Honestly, I was kind of hoping some loving homeowner would adopt him and save him from future misfortune, like running away again after being punished for running away, and getting hurt in traffic. But then, if anyone could provide a loving home for this dog, I'd much prefer that I had a chance to adopt him, since I've watched him grow into a fine young dog from a clumsy sweet puppy, and just fell in love with him myself. He's the type of breed that can scare people, but here on the street we all know he's a sweet lug and is always ready to play.

So---for good or for bad, he's back home now, unhurt and his usual happy puppy self, while his owners are still fighting over who's fault it is that he got away. I just wish I could do something, I hate feeling so helpless, he would be so much safer and happier here at my house. And being a valuable breed, the owner would never just give him away. Other than standing by in case he'd change his mind and want to be rid of the responsibility completely (the little he takes on), the only role I have is Observer, but today it was tough to walk away.

2 comments:

Undercover Mother said...

I so know how you feel. You should be on the board of the Animal Shelter, like I am. My knuckles are white more than not.

We have a family around the corner who has just allowed one of their many unspayed, uninnoculated cats to have yet more kittens. The cats are swarming there now. They make everyone in the neighborhood turn purple just thinking about it.

Laura said...

Thanks for the kind words, I am trying hard to also be a good neighbor, and offered with another neighbor to take the dog for a long walk a few times during the week to let him work off some puppy energy, and the owner seemed receptive. I hope this helps diffuse some of the guy's frustration and gives the doggie some fun times. It sure will help me. Laura