Sunday, July 1, 2007

Groovy Rhubarb Shows Positive Cash Flow


Today being July 1st, the one month anniversary of launching the booth in the House of Vintage, I moseyed over there to re-merchandise, scope the foot traffic on a pleasantly warm Sunday, and, maybe drop off a rent check.

The owner Edina was there, computating the final month of June's disbursements, and I said I needed to drop her a rent check.
"I'll have checks ready by Tuesday, come back anytime then, okay?" she said.
"Uh, okay, I wasn't sure what the June's receipts were going to add up to---"
"Oh, you made money, I owe you a check," she interrupted.
"Wow, great," I offered lamely. "See you then," and she said, "I told you you'd do okay, didn't I?"

This is so cool, and great for my confidence, and heartening to think that I'm on to something here, I MADE A GOOD CHOICE IN THE LURCH OF UNCERTAINTY!!! So I went ahead and bought a few 50-cent vintage family photos that had this older tall guy always wryly smiling, standing in front of a koi pond-kind of thing in the 1940s with rather dour older women, and in one group shot, he's sitting with a doll in one arm and a goofy rubber ball on the table next to him. I'd loved to have met this guy. Really a card.

House of Vintage was thick with customers, and I had to endure the absolute worst Rolling Stones album I've ever heard, something from the 90s I think, so I sauntered over to the bigger warehouse side with mostly furniture, and watched groups of early 20-somethings modeling for each other, squealing over rather fuggly 70s clothing, and getting into a Bowie-esque song with Cocteau Twins overtones. Much better. Lots of purchasing. Exxx-cellent.

I can be devoted to this enterprise with minimal retail baggage, and it will only pick-up when school starts and all the students return to equip their retro flats. Send me the good vibes, dig?

No comments: