Monday, July 9, 2007

Getting Ready For 100 Degrees

At least it's not humid, I keep reminding myself. And there are no hurricanes. Or thunderstorms and lightning, for that matter. But---there is no air conditioning, either. After having spent 7 summers here in Portland, I am still amazed at the lack of AC around here. Not complaining about my landlady here, I found a tidy window unit at Freds for under a $100, and it keeps me from jumping out the window at over 95.

I know I have to explain that in Florida, people have central air, maybe not heaters so much, but compressor units the size of municipal mailboxes behind their houses. The humidity makes this necessary, because I'd really rather not have to describe how mold and mildew take over if you don't have it. It's part of the modern house and shop or car, like having electricity or cash registers. It is not an option. All cars have it as a standard feature. Like a steering wheel. It dries the sweat you worked up just walking between the car and the door of anywhere you're going and keeps you from looking like a wet tissue paper party favor.

So my inquiring thought is---after at least 7 straight summers of weeks over 90 and days over 100 on a predictable basis, let's bite the bullet y'all and get air conditioning. What is the issue here? Is it energy usage? Okay, fair enough question. The Energy Star sheet that came with my low end window model says that it would cost only $34 a year if I ran it for 750 hours. That's 10 hours a day for 60 days, plus another 10 days at 15 hours a day. That would be from mid-June until the end of August. Not even close to how infrequently I use it in July and August, but for my personal comfort, it is well worth the one time cost of $100 and then $35 each summer to be comfortable when it's this hot. People spend more than that for a weekend at the coast, ONE WEEKEND. Gimmie the AC!

Okay, so I took care of my own personal at-home comfort. What is everyone else waiting for? I don't get it, is this a homesteader thing, "my covered wagon hard-assed ancestors wore long woolen underwear and long skirts all summer long, I don't need no stinkin' city-folk air conditioning" kind of tough man contest? I even have an east facing sleeping porch, so I know these tough wagoneers had good sense and built for hot days as best they could. And I'm lucky enough to have a downright chilly finished basement, but my suite is on the top floor, I prefer to have the cool air up thar. We have the technology, y'know? We spend thousands on computer and phone and internet stuff, maybe AC is too low tech, more an appliance and not sexy enough.

The summer 4 years ago I spent days and days after work going from the bathtub filled with cold water to the lawn chair set up in my living room with beach towels and a fan, I thought, "Our esteemed President may be in denial about climate change, but I know he's not sitting in the Oval Office in a damp lawn chair and a wet bathing suit spread-eagled in front of a box fan," and I resolved to get me an air conditioner before the next June rolled to the front. And I did.
I love it, and it works for me even better when I park it on the north side of the house. The other supplies I picked up along the way were icy cold mint shampoo soap and cooler freeze packs, for the neck, lower back and behind the knees, just in case the compressor freezes up. It's only the size of a microwave, not Florida-caliber, but it does the trick. And the Dr Bronner's Peppermint will hit it hard, especially washing your hair and leaving it in a few minutes too long----what headache?
So I'm ready, planned my strategy, and think that seedless watermelon diet is the best idea for the next few days.
Even my favorite yarn store "Yarn Garden" got AC a few years ago! I mean, c'mon!!

No comments: