Tuesday, March 4, 2008

You'd Think It's November

Can a person hold their breath for an entire day in primary season?

All the way home on the bus today, I'm thinking, "Turn on CNN and see how the voting is going," and then the trap door drops out and I hear, "Don't put yourself through this, it seems even Democrats want to be preached to, he'll hire all her best wonks to do what he doesn't know how to anyway, start moving on."

I'm watching Wolf Blitzer with the sound on really low.

This summer, when McCain wasn't doing so well, I thought of how I had told my co-workers 2 years ago that McCain would win in 2008, really not much doubt about it in my mind. I was amazed his campaign seemed to be on life-support and Romney was doing his best SNL Reagan impersonation and actually being taken fairly seriously. I knew Giuliani was way too New York for everyone but South Floridians and their kids who still live in New York and New Jersey.

So I was really wrong about Barack Obama. Man oh man, was I ever. He's hip, he's cool, he can do the hanging loose with everybody thing, he's never said anything while his wife was running for president that is still being bitterly held against him over 20 years later (the staying home and making cookies thing) and he can even admit to doing drugs and not be held to an executive office standard. Wow, who'd have thought it? The right wingers hate him less because he's a guy, and he hasn't done anything yet that they can nail him about.

So even though I was right that McCain is the Republican nominee, and the least of all Republican evils, he just may loose to Obama. And it hit me the other night seeing Barack on TV, that he seems kind of familiar, and I don't mean the MLK oratory style. When he's standing there just talking, and walking back and forth on a stage, it finally hit me who it was: Bill Clinton.
And then I realized that's why he might win, McCain will seem like the first George Bush, and Obama will seem like the younger, new generation, hipper (the ladies like 'im) fresh from state government Bill Clinton. 'Cause we all know that if Bill and Hillary ran against each other for office, who would win.

It's so great that we are having such an unusually exciting election season, and one of those rare changing of the guard thresholds we see about every 20 years or so, but this week I'm experiencing that weird anxiety of this suspense. My hopes were riding so high, she was the front-runner all this time, and it's hard to see her so desperately hanging in there. I had already thoroughly started imagining her first term in office, maybe Barack could be Attorney General or something juicy like that. Now...I'm just feeling so uneasy about it all. He is being naive about global protocol, and will hire on a slew of Bill's crew to help him get on his feet, but if anyone should be leading Bill's crew, it should be Hillary who helped put it together in the first place. It reminds me of the female executive who trains the young male hotshot, who then replaces her in the corner office. The middle-aged woman issue is this--- She isn't a woman most men want to have sex with, and she reminds men under 40 of their moms and who wants your mom for president, right? But if she's too sexy, that's not good, either. Geena Davis had good presidential charisma.

This is nuts. I'm going to shut it off until at least 8pm, another 4 hours away. With all of my term paper absorption over the weekend, there is all that housework I didn't do. Someone remind me to never change paper topics a mere 10 days before the due date ever again.

1 comment:

Dale said...

It's nice to read this, since most of the bloggers I read are Obama people, and they're really depressed by this news. You're absolutely right, Obama is reminiscent of Bill Clinton.

I don't think Obama's been winning because he's hip, though. I think he's been winning because he's had a far better political organization on the ground. He's consistently gotten organized faster and gotten more people out on the street than Clinton has, in state after state. His has simply been a much better campaign. The fact that he's a rousing speaker has something to do with it, but a lot less, I believe, than his energy and the skill of his campaign organization. The press, of course, can't be bothered to notice anything as banal as organization, and concentrates on rhetoric, since it's their own stock-in-trade. But it's organization that wins campaigns.

You can be a brilliant campaigner and a lousy president -- we've seen a fair amount of that in recent presidencies -- but still, organizing a campaign and organizing an administration are not terribly dissimilar tasks.

So I've changed my original response to Obama, which was one, back in the Iowa days, of dismayed disbelief. It looked to me like Jimmy Carter all over again, fine words and wonderful vision and complete ignorance of how to work the machinery. I thought they'd make mincemeat of him in Washington, if he got so far. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'll take either one, gladly. And your happiness makes me happy :-)