Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Over the Cliff

We were advised in class today that we'd taken our professor too literally, and followed his directions so unswervingly, we took it right over the cliff. The paper assignment, I mean.
And again, he threatened us that he has much much higher expectations for the one we're beginning after the midterm next week. I hope he gives us the topic parameters more than just a week ahead of time for this one, and maybe if he quit threatening us, we'd not step on the backs of his heels trying to do it exactly right.

I was surprised to hear two fellow classmates behind me on the stairs after class saying how they are having to do more research just to figure out who the main figures are in the field, because the prof keeps referencing them but never really had us learn about them, but expects us to know which guy said what, and why are we reading about baseball superstitions when we could be reading about these founders of the discipline? He has us read these assignments, but then never discusses them in class. Our textbooks don't even give an overview of the terminology, list the definitions or significant breakthroughs, or what's going on in the field now. And I had thought these two young women were so busy playing with their text messages to even think about this, so good for them, and shame on me. But it's true.

So he's going to hate my paper, now I know it for sure. Someone told me to just withdraw from the class, get an incomplete, and take it again next year with hopefully a different professor. Now that the term is almost half over, let's just get it over with and move on, is my thought. The ultimate irony is that this was going to be the focus of my major in the subject, and now I'm all put off. It just feels like a no-win all the way around.

The weather isn't helping. After that 80 degree sunny weekend almost two weeks ago, I feel like a barnacle on some barge under the Morrison Bridge. I've changed all my slide shows on my computers to tropical islands, Rocky Mountain wide blue skies, and Saharan Dunes under pure azure. My retinas need sunshine and blue above me, HELP! Saturday's supposed to be nice, high 60s and some sunshine. Reading the Odyssey on my front porch and doing laptop astronomy homework are my only plans. I got a scientific calculator today that promises fewer hours and tears, but ha ha ha, I have to learn how to use it. This is a different term entirely.

Hillary won in Pennsylvania last night, and I am so happy that she's fighting on, and not caving in to the pressure from the pundits that a national civil race war will break out if she wins the nomination by super-delegates. What kind of crap is that? How freaking racist is it to have white guys on CNN promising riots and mayhem bringing down the whole election if Hillary doesn't quit now and go home? That's like telling Obama to bug out now because if he gets the nomination by only a slim popular vote, every woman and blue collar worker will riot against African Americans and threaten the safety of the country. Like that would happen. We have two candidates that we don't want to see go all mean, to stoop to those old dog tactics of yesteryear, and I think they've held onto that position for themselves for a good long time. But the Republicans are catching a whiff of fresh air that maybe John McCain isn't so bad after all, and maybe they can win. I think Evil Rove is resting up for the summer so he can sharpen his teeth on whichever Democrat is left standing after the convention, and then this race will start to look like those ultimate cage fighters on cable---and that Democrat had better be able to suit up and let it fly. And I really want it to be Hillary, let Obama serve another term or two in the Senate, and then run and win.

Thinking about this the other day, I totally 'get' the generational thing, and why the average 25 year old is all hyped for Obama. None of these kids want to have a president that reminds them of their mom or one of their mom's friends, it's still a little weird yet. Much of my support for Hillary is for her personally, because I know her story and I know what a huge part she played in Bill's presidency, I was there and hoped she'd have her own shot at national politics afterwards. Part of it is her being a woman candidate, naturally, no shame in that for me, but I have always liked her, mostly because some of her story resembles mine I think. And I want her to go all the way, over the guardrail and fly out over the resistance and win this election, and be my president. If she weren't running, I'd most likely have the Obama buttons on, knowing he's going to need some on the job training, rattle the political science faculty of higher institutions now.

4 comments:

Dale said...

Who *is* this guy? That's no way to teach. He's getting on your case for following his directions?

Bah. I hope he's young. There's some excuse for a kid fresh out of grad school not knowing how to teach yet. But still.

Laura said...

Funny, I think he's about my age, but in a male prof, that seems to be young-ish around here. My expectations for the class were completely different from what it has turned out to be, I was looking forward to really enjoying it, so it's too bad.

Dale said...

Ugh. what I learned in my embarrassingly long academic career is that you don't really take subjects, you take professors. Find someone you can learn from, who likes you and whom you like, and trail around after them until you get a degree :-> That's my advice. This guy sounds like just going to waste your time (and make you feel crummy into the bargain.)

Dale said...

So I keep waiting for the dénouement -- did he like the paper or hate it? Do you know yet?