Monday, October 22, 2007

She Knits! She Sews! She Sells!


Here's the latest little project I finished over the weekend, and promptly decided to sell it.

It's beautiful, luxurious, silky, beaded--and a bargain at $40 at my online Etsy store.

I made it for myself, and after admiring it for a few hours, realized that someone else would love it, and it hadn't given me any grief to make it, easy to let go. A sexy linen/rayon blend with faceted beads and paillettes (sequins), and the manner in which I did the pattern stitch wrong made it come out looking like elegant chainmail. I was impressed and wrote my mistake down so I could do it again on purpose. It is scarf season again, and it's easy to whip some up while watching a DVD or two on a rainy afternoon off, and enrich the hand-craft marketplace.

Besides, I'm in full assault job search mode right now and am not anywhere nears the challenge of a Shula-sized headache, like a cashmere sweater made with spiderwebs and pins.

I have an interview with an esteemed Portland art glass company tomorrow morning, and I'm trying to not be nervous. Love love love glass, always have, and I think it would be a fun job and give me something new to learn from the inside out. It's just been so long since I had to cold-interview, I hope I do alright. The responses from all the applications I was sending out are coming in steadily, so tomorrow will be good practice no matter the outcome.

Plus, I've decided to try and get back to school next year, and have begun the whole process of filling out applications and forms for that, also. It is very different than the first time I did it while still in high school, but luckily some things are now free (sending transcripts) and almost everything is online and fast and easy to find. The thought of Portland State has been floating around in my mind for a few years, and somehow the idea of being in a classroom and writing clicked for me the last few weeks. What will transfer, what will not I can only guess, but after all these years, anything that does will help. Skipping down to the PSU bookstore to pick up a course catalog will send me spinning with excitement (it always did, even then) as I mentally try on taking these classes. Getting into the Spring term would be great, but it all depends on if I just am too far past meeting any deadlines for applying. There's a department for Women's Resources that includes Women's Continuing Education, and I contacted the point person there, and the admissions folks---where do I even start with this? I can already hear the snickering of the poor student working at processing these emails "Duh, hello? It's obvious, damn boomer" delete delete. Maybe not. Going forward, this is another layer to the Larger Plan I have, finish the degree, keep learning, that's always been the plan: Keep Learning. Always. Keep knitting(thanks, gramma).

No comments: